View Single Post
Old 06-14-2006, 03:10 AM   #1
serrelind
Yorkie Yakker

Cool Help with bells.

For anyone who's trained their puppy to ring the bell, I could use some advice. I hung the bells on the door and at first my 6month Napoleon would not go near them. He didn't like the sound they make and would shy away. Then I tried to associate the bells with a treat. Whenever he rang it, I gave him a treat. He was no longer afraid of the bells, great! Then I stopped with the treats and whenever he rings the bells now, I take him outside. The problem is he is constantly ringing the bells now! I take him out for like 10 mins for a walk, go back in, he rings it, I take him out for another 10 min walk, go back in, he rings it, I take him out, and so on. Last night after giving him a nice brisk 30 min walk, I took him out like 5 times again due to him ringing the bells, until I was too tired to go out again and put him in the x-pen and I went straight to bed. I like it that he has associated the bells with going outside because before he gives me NO indication when he needs to go out to pee/poop. He doesn't bark, he doesn't whine, he doesn't stand next to door or scratch it.

So for those who's trained their Yorkie with the bells, how did you do it? Will it get better for me or is my life going to be spent outside wandering around on the grass with my apartment neighbors concluding I must be lost and homeless with my puppy? Haha

Last edited by serrelind; 06-14-2006 at 03:12 AM.
serrelind is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!