View Single Post
Old 06-10-2006, 06:03 AM   #9
Key2Yorkies
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhimsicalDaisy
I've lost track of YT for a while, and I cannot believe what's happened to bring me back...long story short, Max is currently at the hospital due to an ibuprofen overdose. It's all MY FAULT. I am devastated. Please send get well soon vibes to him.

I'm wracked with guilt...my youngest daughter (5) was sick on Wednesday, so I stayed home from work. My oldest daugher (16) set out a dose of Children's Motrin, trying to be helpful. Youngest has a gag-reflex issue, she didn't take the medicine, and I left it out thinking I'd try to get her to take it again later. 3 hours in a steamy bathroom, 2 hours napping, then a couple of errands later...I find the empty, gnawed medicine cup on the floor under the kitchen table.

Max ingested 1.5 tsp of Children's Motrin. This happened sometime after the nap, before the errands, so it was 3-4 hours when I found the cup & that was also the same time Max started getting sick. I called the vet, and was advised that it wasn't a toxic dosage, so to keep an eye on him & if he wasn't better by morning to bring him in.

Thursday we took him to the vet. He was admitted to the hospital for IV fluids, preliminary testing showed his kidneys were fine, but he was dehydrated...kept him there overnight.

Friday...still vomiting. Vet says that even though kidneys are fine, he may have stomach ulcers from the ibuprofen. Added pepcid to control the acids & something else to coat the stomach...still on IV therapy to keep him hydrated & nourished while his stomach has time to heal.

The vet said I should call around 9am this morning to see how things are going. The plan was to try to get him to eat something last night & see if he could keep it down.

I feel like the worst mom in the world. There are so many WHY's right now, and every damn one of them leads back to me. Why didn't I just dump out that medicine? Why didn't I go back to it? Why did I forget about it? Why did I let Max out of his room before making sure the house was clear? Why didn't I push the chair in, so he couldn't climb up onto the table? Why didn't I schedule that next training class so he'd know not to get on the table anyway?

Ugghh...now my husband is upset with me because we were supposed to take a day trip today, and I won't leave Max. How can I go out of town, even for a few hours, not knowing what's going on with my baby? How can he even consider it?

Someone just tell me that Max will be fine...

WhimsicalDaisy,
I feel so bad for you and I am praying for Max. It isn't your fault though. Remember what Forest Gump taught all of Us ...... S _ _ T HAPPENS!
I personally can't take Ibuprofen and I weigh... well let's just say well over
100 lbs... I used to take it for arthritis but now as a result I have an Ulcerated asophagus and an Ulcer in my stomach. I don't recommend it to anyone Man or Beast, so to speak. Or as my Jamaican friend would say... IT'S BAD JUJU MON!!!
We are sending good vipes from Myself, Auggie, Roxy, Jazzi,
and Angel my beautiful White Afghan:
said ..... MAX WILL BE FINE !!!!
Key2Yorkies
Janice

Last edited by Key2Yorkies; 06-10-2006 at 06:05 AM.
Key2Yorkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!