View Single Post
Old 06-09-2006, 08:36 AM   #1
SissaYSU
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default degenerative disc disease and an enlarged heart

So...
Tyke had another "episode" of walking hunched over really slowly and shaking and just being miserable a couple weeks ago. Took him to the vet adn they scheduled an exray for him today.

I just picked him up. He doesn't have arthritis and it's not related to his ACL being torn a lil less than a year ago. He has degenerative disc disease with two discs in his back and one in his neck effected. The vet said as long as he's okay after he has his medication then we'll just maintain that course of treatment but if he starts squealing and screaming and walking on three legs then a disc might've slipped or ruptured and he would need surgery. The vet made it sound like that Tyke is okay and that a rupture is not likely too happen. He told me if a rupture did happen he'd have to have serious surgery where he would be hospitalized for at least seven days because the surgery would cause temporary paralysis and loss of bowel and bladder control I was just wondering if anyone out there has a yorkie also that has degenerative disc disease and if they have been okay and for how long they've had it and been okay. I am hoping it's years down the road before surgery is in the horizon. My poor Tykie

And then as I was leaving the vet came back and asked if I had noticed if Tyke had been coughing a lot and I told him I didn't really notice. The vet then said he needed to know because the exray also showed somewhat of an enlarged heart which is common with older dogs (okay Tyke is not old...he's only 8 and that's not even half of his life expectancy for yorkies which I was told is 18!) I know that people can die of an enlarged heart! I immediately asked the vet if Tyke would be okay and he said he would be if we started medication. Now, my parents pay the vet bills so I couldn't tell him to start medication. Bubba has an appt to get shots on Monday and I am having my mom take him so she can determine the medication thing. Does anyone here have a yorkie with an enlarged heart...and if so...have they been okay?

My poor Tykie I remember when he was a puppy and so playful and now he's going downhill

Melissa
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!