View Single Post
Old 06-07-2006, 11:01 AM   #1
dezertblu
YT Addict

Default What about Size?

I have been noticing quite a few different threads on here about larger sized Yorkies, and the folks who have them seem quite upset at the responses they get in public about the size of thier babies, so this is for you guys...Knowledge is power!

The Yorkshire Terrier is descended from Clydesdale and/or Paisley Terriers and the Waterside Terriers which migrated to the area around Glasgow, in the county of York, in the early 19th century. They were later crossed with other breeds, including the Broken-Haired Terrier (now extinct), the Cairn Terrier, the Maltese, Bichon and others. In 1886, the breed was officially named by The Kennel Club and its first standard was published in 1898. The Yorkie was originally used to keep mines clear of rats and as a hunting dog to unearth prey. The breed later became a fashionable pet. The breed was promoted in the United States and Europe where it was bred for decreased size beginning in 1930. The Yorkie is now reputed to be the most popular miniature breed in the world.

right now after knowing that let's break it down:

they said Clydesdale terriers right?

Clydesdale Terriers
1. AVERAGE MEASUREMENTS: DOG--Height at shoulder, 9 inches. Length, back of skull to root of tail, 22-1/2 inches; muzzle to back of skull, 8-1/2 inches; root of tail to tip joint, 9 inches. Total length, 40 inches. BITCH--Half an inch lower, and 2-1/2 inches shorter than dog, all points proportional; thus, body, 21 inches; head, 8 inches; and tail, 8-1/2 inches. Total, 37-1/2 inches.
2. AVERAGE WEIGHT: DOG--18 lb.; bitch, 16 lb. No dog should be over 20 lb., nor under 16 lb.; and no bitch should be over 18 lb., nor under 14 lb.

and Broken haired terrier:

The breed was originally known as the Broken-Haired Scotch Terrier that weighed 12 to 14 pounds.

and Waterside terrier:

Waterside Terrier, a small English breed with a somewhat long, bluish gray coat. Weighing an average of 10 pounds, Waterside Terriers were common in Yorkshire since early times.

These were the ancestors to our Yorkie babies, do you notice the average size and weights??? The smaller breed dogs used to small them down were also not Tea cup sized.

By the late Victorian era, however, the Yorkshire Terrier was a fashionable pet.
The first record of a Yorkshire Terrier being born in the United States dates back to 1872. Classes for the breed have been offered at all shows since 1878. At early shows, these classes were divided by weight (less than five pounds and equal to or more than five pounds). However, the class for larger dogs was rarely filled, and fanciers decided to offer one class for dogs averaging between three and seven pounds.

The larger Yorkies used to be accepted as breed worthy and show worthy, it's the people who thought it not fashionable that took them out of the running, this dog derives from bigger sized terriers, so if you have a "larger" sized yorkie...remember his/her herritage, as they were too!

The next time someone take a pop at your yorkies size, educate them, tell them you got 100% pure yorkie there, not some manufactured Barbie Doll toy.

Now I have nothing against the smaller Yorkies, but I do have a growing anger at Fashion dictating what is or isn't allowable or acceptable, wether it be my dogs or my children, I don't like the fashion trends changing what nature intended, only for the truely Normal ones to be told they are too big, or not right, wrong color, whatever.....man has long messed with nature.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!