View Single Post
Old 06-06-2006, 12:02 PM   #9
SnowWa
YT 2000 Club Member

It doesn't matter who the people are - what they're doing - what they're wearing, etc. You don't want your dog "growling and biting."

You need to place yourself between your dog and these people and move him away from them - at least 10 feet or so. If he goes back toward them, immediately do it again (even before he moves the first few feet, if possible) as many times as you need to. Stand up straight and move your pup with your feet. When he is away from them tell him to stay - the moment he starts toward them - move him back again.

**** I did this with my pup before I ever answered the door. I moved him back and told him to stay....as many times as necessary before I opened the door. Now - he stays back about 10 feet before I open the door - and he does the same thing before anyone leaves also. (But - I do remind and tell him to do this every time.) However - it works!

****** I know dogs are different and what works well for one doesn't work as easily for another. My pup is a submissive little guy and responded very quickly to my moving him back. I am sure a less submissive little dog might require more work. But - it's worth the effort!

**** I do think holding our dogs and trying to comfort and calm them down is probably the worst thing we can do. (They may even interpret this as affection - which is the last thing we want to give them at this time.) I would attach them to a leash somewhere in the house before I would hold them. But being attached to a leash doesn't really teach them what we want them to learn.

***** I can't believe how fast I have trained my pup to stay away from the door when people come or go - and how quickly I trained him to stay away from the table when I'm eating --- by moving him away.

He was constantly sitting at my feet barking and begging whenever I ate. I moved him away three or four times - and immediately got up and went toward him and moveed him back again every time he came toward the table. After only a few times, he turned around and jumped up on a chair and took a nap while I ate my dinner. This was just too easy!

Good luck!

Carol Jean
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!