View Single Post
Old 10-29-2004, 01:42 AM   #5
bettyeanne
Donating YT 7000 Club Member

The most important decision you will ever make for your little Luna is her vet! I drive 45 minutes each way to our Dr. Lucy, who raises and shows Yorkies! I have her on speed dial at her home and she doesn't mind being bothered after hours!! I just had an experience with an emergency 24 hour hospital which is 5 minutes from my house!! I don't have a clue how it happened but Toto chewed up a cigerette [my nasty habit and I know, I know] .... the only thing I can figure is she jumped up in my desk chair and got it from my ashtray on my desk! BTW, all ashtrays have been removed!! At any rate, I didn't know it until I saw tobacco in her poop!!! [she is a very neat little bandit and leaves no evidence!! ] Dr. Lucy was out town and her assistant told me to call the local 24 hr. hospital as tobacco is very toxic!! I was on the verge of hysteria!! The girl [named Whitney] who answered when I called began asking for name, phone number, etc. ... and asked if I wanted to make an appointment??? I interupted her and almost screamed at her to tell her I had an "emergency"! She put me on hold after I explained to her what happened and the next person asked first for my address, then asked if I wanted to make an appointment? I did scream at her and said "NO, I have a vet who is out of town ... I don't want an appointment .... I want someone to tell me what to do!!!! Then SHE put me on hold!! I sat there for about 5 seconds with the freaking "elevator music" blaring in my ear before I slammed the phone down! I had finally remembered the name of my son's local vet and called him! They immediately gave me the reassurance and advice I sorely needed in my moment of blind panic ... never even ASKED my name!!! Since I found the tobacco in her poop, it was passing through her little system and the emergency was over ... I just had to give her Mylanta for her little upset stomach and watch her closely for any more signs of anything out of the norm. However, even though his office was closed ... he assured me that he would be happy to wait for me and see her if I wanted but that he felt confident that all would be fine ... and it was! The next day when I returned home from my Mom's, there was a message from "Whitney" needing some more information ... I was livid!! Decided to wait until I wasn't quite so angry to call her back! Then the next day I received a brochure in the mail from this so-called "24 hour Emergency Hospital" ... with Whitney's name written on the front of it!! I have Whitney on my "to do list" before I leave to join my husband in Colorado. Hopefully, when I call her I will have waited long enough to be civil ... I hate to get this angry! Whoever you decide on for Luna's vet, just be very careful and don't mind going over to look them over, armed with your list of questions! I'm sorry that this was so long ... but, I personally, just cannot stress enough the importance of a competent, caring vet for these tiny babies!!!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!