View Single Post
Old 05-03-2005, 12:48 PM   #1
SoCalyorkiLvr
BANNED!

Default Target Pet Clothes Sizing: "Teacup"

I went to Target last night and bought the little pink coat for Chai! It is so cute. What I wanted to mention tho' was that when I looked at the cardboard form (hanger) it came on there was a Breed sizing chart on there.

I think if you have read my posts you know that I am not offended by the use of the word "teacup" when people use it to describe the size of a small yorkie. In my opinion it's just a size designation used for descriptive purposes like medium, large, huge, miniature, etc. Most people understand it to mean a yorkie who remains under the breed standard of 5 lbs as an adult.

I do know and respect the opinion of many yorkie owners who find the word "teacup" extremely offensive because it it is not recognized by AKC as a designated yorkie size and they feel some breeders use it in a misrepreseanttive and fraudulent way to charge more money.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting to note that the sizing chart lists 21 breeds and then included one other category titled "teacup breeds". Teacup breeds are the only one that had a mark in the extra small size column. They describe X-Small as 2-6 lbs. This is the size that fits Chai right now, althoug the coat is a little big on her. She is only 6 months old but she weighs less than 3 pounds right now. I expect her to continue to fill out.

It is also interesting to note that the Yorkshire Terrier falls in the Small Size column which is described as (7-12 lbs).

Just thought it was interesting that "teacup" is now being used by a major retailer.
SoCalyorkiLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!