View Single Post
Old 05-30-2006, 05:49 PM   #1
sukj12
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Need advice!! Help!

Hi YTers,

I need some of your opinions...

I am currently a graduate student at Boston College. Frodo, my yorkie-mix puppy, is now 7 months, and he came to live with me at 11 weeks. We currently live in an apartment with one other roommate, but Frodo spends his time mostly in my large room and follows me everywhere around the house. My brother came to visit from California, and he swears that I am Frodo's idea of his substitute mother.

In January, I have the opportunity to do an internship outside of the U.S. for approximately 4 months. I've begun the application process for this internship abroad, but I am compelled to possibly withdraw my application for an international placement, and ask instead, for a domestic placement. Originally my plan was to leave Frodo with my parents in California while I was away. However, the more I think about it, the more uncomfortable I have become with the idea because of the fact that my parents own a business and would probably not be able to give Frodo the appropriate care and attention that he needs. Our family has previously owned a dog, but she was an outdoor dog and much larger than Frodo (Brownie was 45-50 lbs) and didn't need the care that a yorkie needs. I know that their intentions would be kind and in the right place, but I don't think they quite know what to expect in regards to caring for a yorkie. Soooo... I'm considering giving up this great opportunity to study in another country in order to care for Frodo myself, as I don't have any friends with the ability to take him in and care for him adequately.

Am I crazy to give up this international internship????? It would only be 4 months, but Frodo is quite attached to me, and I am quite attached to him as well. I'd be willing to be away from him for a little while, but I'm not okay with leaving him with questionable care. Of course, the obvious answer is - don't leave him with my parents. But other than that, I'm kind of out of options. Any advice on this?

I've posted some recent pictures of him - he's quite smashing, isn't he? :P I'm totally in love with him!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice!!  Help!-frodosmile2.jpg   Need advice!!  Help!-frodo2.jpg   Need advice!!  Help!-frodo3.jpg  
sukj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!