View Single Post
Old 05-29-2006, 07:53 PM   #8
Dan & Corinne
Inactive Account

I guess what I'd like to say is. Research! Learn about the medicines. Learn about the any lab results. Discuss it with your vet. If you find you don't understand or agree with a treatment ask! Depending on the vet's answer you can then make a decision to seek a second opinion.

Many vets are pressured by various pharmacies to push certain drugs. Most vets are not rich for they do not have HMO's and PPO's paying for their time. Many vets struggle to keep their practice going. Yes to us the cost may seem exessive, but they have to buy all the equipment for surgeries, x-rays, heart monitors, etc. They have expenses we don't always take into consideration. Not to mention the people who don't pay and emergency work they do for stray animals.

Just do your homework first before you question your vets opinion.

I have 2 stories to share:

Jazzie's Story:

I had this one vet who seemed to be good on the surface but each time I took Jazzie in for skin problems (I later learned she had allergies), he would give her a cortizone shot and send me home with anibiotics. I finally got frustrated with all the cortizone and started to do some research on line and found out there is a veterinary dermatologist not even 15 minutes away from me. I was very upset that the GP vet didn't make a recommendation and put Jazzie in harm by compermizing her immune system with all the steroids he kept on giving her. No wonder she kept on getting worse then better! The steroids were making her worse! It only looked better on the surface!

The visit to the derm vet was wonderful. Jazzie has been steroid fee for 3 years now.

Jewel's Story:

Jewel was diagnosed with a terminal brain infection last year. After several tests with our new GP vet, he recommended we go to a veterinary neurologist for further testing. We did and found out about the infection. As her disease progressed our Neuro Vet recommended we start Jewel on "a very mild chemo therapy" I researched the "medicine" and found out how terrible this treatment is. So I did more reserch and found an Alternative Medicine doctor and Jewel didn't have to be subjected to any chemo. Every time I had an appointment I asked for extra time to be scheduled with the doctor so I can go over a list of questions. The doctor didn't mind at all that I questioned the recommended treatments or asked him to explain the blood test results.
Dan & Corinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!