View Single Post
Old 05-29-2006, 06:09 AM   #1
jmetts
YT Addict

Default Recovering from bone plate surgery

Hello,

I am new to this site. I found it when looking for information regarding Snickers situation. Snickers is 4 1/2 months old & broke his leg jumping off the couch. Our situation was like many others that I read here....emergency vet last saturday, follow up at his regular vet monday, surgery wednesday, & lots and lots of worry & tears. He had broken both bones in his front leg, but fortunately the growth plate didn't seem to be damaged. They put in bone plates to fix him & now he has a six week recovery time.

Snickers seems to be doing great. I've been instructed to keep him in a cage, to only be let out for meals & bathroom breaks. This breaks my heart, but I try to think back to a surgery I had & how I was made to stay in bed for a period. The problem is that he is doing so well that I think he forgets he was hurt. When I let him out of his cage he runs & I mean runs fast (which he obviously isn't allowed to do).

I would love to hear from anyone else who's been through this to know if your baby made it the full 6 weeks in a cage, or did you give in a little. Do you think it's ok to gently play with toys, as long as it doesn't involve running? Does anyone know any fun games for a recovering baby? He wants to play sooooo bad & I feel guilty.

Thanks!
jmetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!