View Single Post
Old 05-28-2006, 10:52 PM   #14
Annie&Badger
YT Addict

Hi Everestgirl!

The reason I came on to this forum was to ask advice for a very similar problem with my Badger. I got him at nine weeks and by 12 weeks I just wanted to give him back to the breeder! He seemed very unaffectionate, never wanted to sit in my lap, was always more interested in everything else except me. Some people on here may remember how upset I was - I even offered, half-jokingly, to ship him to Lexi's Mom.

Now, I wouldn't give him up for a billion gazillion dollars. I think it's just a phase they go through of being very boisterous and puppy-like but this phase does pass and they start to settle down. I did a few little 'tricks' like putting him in the bed with me to sleep, feeding him on my lap, playing with him on my lap and so on. Just making him feel that mum's lap was the most comfortable, safe, and interesting place in the world. At about sixteen weeks, I noticed a big change with him and he even started asking to sit in my lap when I'd sit down. I think we forget sometimes that they don't really 'know' us when they are so young. They kind of have to get used to us and they're little worlds but you'll see in a few months that he'll be a lot more affectionate. This is a particular quality of the breed (stastically Yorkshire Terriers need human companionship more than any other type of dog) and I think it would be very rare to find one that wasn't affectionate at all.

I also agree with Carol Jean to a certain extent that there is something about having an independently-spirited little dog who is well-adjusted. The vet told me that he has Yorkies go in where the owner's have made them neurotic and afraid of everything just so the dog is more affectionate and needy. I would rather my Badger never wanted to sit in my lap rather than sit there because he was scared of everything else

And he's gorgeous by the way! You sound like a great mum, so just give it a bit of time and you'll see how much he wants to be with you
Annie&Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!