View Single Post
Old 05-28-2006, 05:43 PM   #10
SnowWa
YT 2000 Club Member

A lot of people want "lap dogs," but this is really us wanting a dog to meet our needs --- it isn't not our meeting their needs.

Personally - I think that a dog that prefers and is content being with himself rather than climbing on top of or being with a person all the time is a much better adjusted and well balanced pet. A lot of us tend to make our pets dependent on us and encourage them to want to be with us constantly or in our laps most of the time. These are the same little guys that usually end up with "separation anxiety" and a host of other problems.

My little Yorkie is definitely not a "lap dog" ... at least not in the sense that he wants to be with me or on my lap all the time. He is really a very well adjusted, happy little guy that loves other people and will readily stay with anyone and be happy. He doesn't cry or whine when I leave. He loves playing by himself and will sleep anywhere. He is extremely friendly and likes everyone he meets and other dogs and animals as well. I know he loves me best, but I am certainly not the center of his world.

He does jump on my lap and sleep or cuddle for a few minutes now and then -and sometimes longer. But, it always on his terms and when he wants to do it. Otherwise, his favorite place is using lying at my feet on the floor.....or sleeping at the other end of the sofa still being near me. He seems to be very content just being close by.

And, if I need a puppy-fix once in a while (don't we all?), I pick him up and lay him on his back beside me or in my lap and rub his tummy for a while. He'll usually stay quiet for a minute or two when I do this, but the minute he wants to get up and move - I let him go. This way he enjoys the few minutes he is quiet beside me because he knows he's not going to be forced to stay there.

And - like many people have mentioned, I am noticing that as he has gotten a little older with a little less puppy energy, he's willing to spend more quiet time beside me. And, I enjoy these times a lot; we both do.

I am really so proud of the little dog that my pup is turning out to be - he's not a barker, he's not a whiner, and he's not afraid of other people, or animals. He doesn't mind staying with other people, and he doesn't mind being left home alone. I wouldn't trade this happy-go-lucky, friendly, adventureous, little pup for all the "lap dogs" in the world.

BUT - like all of us, I certainly do enjoy the times he decides to jump up on my lap and just visit with me for a little while. It's a very special time for both of us when this happens.

Good luck! Carol Jean
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!