View Single Post
Old 05-28-2006, 07:55 AM   #1
hunniebunnie
Follower of Yorkietology

Default keep your fingers and paws crossed for us

bubba, my rescue dog, has had a number of health issues that we're sorting out since his adoption. he had an eye infection and really bad tartar on his teeth but my main concern is still the infection he has for which he is being treated with antibiotics. he's had this awful honking cough, running nose, and sneezing when i first brough him home. cbc panels showed that he had an elevated level of white blood cells. after 1 week on antibiotics and a retest of cbc, white blood cell counts remain elevated and actually higher than the week before.

before the cbc, the vet thought it might be a collapse trachea or kennel cough. after the second blood test, she thinks it might be pneumonia although she can't be certain without a chest xray (ie, $150 cost). she prescribed him a new antibiotics. we're hoping the new med would help to show improvement in his health which would be visible in his next cbc and save me from the additional cost of an xray.

so far, his eye infection has cleared up. his sneezing has nearly stopped. his nose is no longer drippy and i have few yorkie booger snots on my furniture to wipe. i can count on one hand the number of times he's had his honky cough in the past week as opposed to using 2 hands just to count for the number of times in a given day. we're really hoping his blood tests would reflect these improvements i see. especially since money is tight for me right now and i really need to start saving money for his dental work (you don't wanna know how much that estimate is ). the vet has been wonderful and have been comp'ing the office visit fee since he's a local rescue and discounted the follow-up cbc's. she's even given bunjee a quick checkup whenever we're there, just make sure bunjee's in good shape too. when bunjee's contract with banfield is up, i'm switch vets to the one i'm taking bubba to now.

so anyways, we're off the vet's again this week for another exam and we really need your prayers that bubba's condition has improved!!!

meanwhile, after a couple months of loose stool and stubborn baby canines, bunjee's stool is finally firm again and he's lost yet another baby canine so just one more to go and i won't need to put him under for a tooth extraction. now if only he'll quit eating his poop now that it's firm again.
hunniebunnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!