Thread: Pet a Potty
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2006, 09:10 AM   #9
toby&max
Yorkie Talker

Default Petapotty didn't work for me :(

I purchased a petapotty because I had dogs staying with me for a while who did not like the litter I usually use for my dogs. Although they took to the petapotty very quickly because they were used to going on grass (I only have a patio), I found that the unit was very hard to keep smelling nice and that the large catch pan underneath was very flimsy and awkward to try to dump without making a mess. I tried both the real sod and fake sod. The dogs used both, but I didn't like either. Now, I must say that I did have five little dogs using the petapotty (none over 8 lbs), so it might work if you only have one or two dogs using the unit. I found that the real sod needed to be changed every few days, not every couple of weeks. I tried the fake sod after the real sod wasn't working. Again, it was difficult for me to keep it clean and smelling nice. I found that the sod and the unit did not drain well. Piddle would puddle in the fake grass where there were no holes, between the grass and the petapotty (I think that's where most of the smell came from) and only a small amount would make it through to the drain pan below. I am a very clean person, so I was rinsing the unit every day and spraying it with urine cleaner with enzymes. Finally I filled the petapotty with sand like litter, which my visiting dogs started using, and forgot about the sod. The other problem I had was that my male dogs would pee right over the side of the petapotty when they lifted their leg, making more cleanup necessary. I think that the petapotty is a great idea, but it just didn't work for me.

I now use a large plastic doghouse, with the top off, as a litter box for my dogs. I use wood pellets, about $5 for a 40 lb bag, and change the litter about once a week (pick-up solid waste daily). The tall sides of the doghouse keep my males from peeing over the side, and cleanup is now a breeze. I have tried just about everything on the market, and every type of litter, pee pad, etc… this is the most economical, nose friendly, and cleanup friendly thing that I have found.
toby&max is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!