Thread: Size/weight
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2006, 06:24 AM   #59
DazzlinYT
YT Addict

One thing to keep in mind, the weight charts and "doubling weight at 12 weeks" is ONLY a guideline. I have YET to have a dog mature to what the charts and the doubling said they would...both under and over.

Weight at maturity has so many factors associated with it. Some lines mature quicker than others, I've had dogs stop growing completely by 8 months, and one that continued growing til 18 months. The best way to "guestimate" the size of your pup at maturity IMHO is to look at the bone structure and size of the parents and grandparents, and any aunts and uncles you can, and their rate of maturity, and it will give you an IDEA. Especially small yorkies don't always come from small parents, and especially large ones don't always come from large parents. There are lots of factors all rolled into each puppy that gives that puppy it's own special size. One of my girls mother always produces a little one, a 7 lber, and usually a 4-5 lb in the middle, but behind her is a VERY large yorkie, and several very small ones, so unless your breeder is very consistent in one particular size, all of the parents and grandparents, great grand parents approximately the same size, then you kind of have a craps shoot on what size your pup is going to turn out. Look at bone structure for help with that.

I am sitting on two hopefuls right now, one is 2.75 lbs at 18 weeks, the other is 4.5 at 19 weeks. I'm PRAYING the 4.5 stops around 6.5 and the 2.75 gets to at least 4.5. (His brother and sister are both around 3.5 @ 18 weeks) Will this happen?? My crystal ball is broken right now..but I'll get back to you when they're a year old! lol

Last edited by DazzlinYT; 05-26-2006 at 06:27 AM.
DazzlinYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!