View Single Post
Old 05-26-2006, 03:13 AM   #2
kalina82
Phantom Queen Morrigan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRS H
Dexter has been diagnosed with this condition i was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem with there little boys the vet has said he will have to be castrated when he is 12months old this is in julythey will have to open up his tummy too , i am very worried about him going under he is so small what if he doesnt wake up, by the way this condition is where one testicle stays in the body if it is left he has a high chance of cancer, i cried my eyes out yesterday,i will tell you all when he goes in for the op please think about him that day .

its going to be OK. don't worry. The surgery that he is going to have is very similar to a regular neuter. Sometimes the dogs can do fine with just the one regular incision because the vet is able to find the other testicle. Other times they need to make another tiny incision in the place where female dogs who are getting spayed get theres. the incisions will be small and honestly its not that much more invasive then a regular neuter.

The surgery has to be done though. Don't think that you can ignore it. If the retained testicle doesn't come out it can become cancerous. I remember this one case at the hospital i was working at where the owner had a crypt golden retriever and she let it go and didn't neuter him. Well by two years old that dog had such a huge cancerous tumor growing on the retained testicle that it wrapped around other organs and had to be carefully removed. The testicle was the size of a cantelope. ick! So be sure to have that taken care of.
kalina82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!