Thread: Size/weight
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2006, 04:27 PM   #52
cmedici13
Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewiesMom
I understand what you're saying, but don't bring up Silky's. Just because a Yorkie is over 7lbs doesn't mean they are a Silky. They are a completely different breed.
If you think that then you are not aware of the background of a silky terrier. In fact, the silky terriers are a cross between the Australian terrier and the Yorshire terrier, and therefore they are quite silimar to Yorkies. So similar in fact that many people have them mistaken, and quite a number of people have been misled into thinking they are buying a pure bread Yorkie when they are actually buying a Yorkie with a silky's background in them. Silkies are 8 to 11 lbs (standard size that is), so I think it is very reasonable for me to say that I feel as though Yorkies that are greater than 7 lbs are more like silkies. Their temperament is much the same. The main difference is the size and coat color. Silkies are more often silver. Anyhow, it is often less expensive to get a silky, and what I am saying is that for the money we pay for Yorkies, when they grow past 7 lbs, it is as if we had gotten a really expensive silky terrier. Really. I am sorry that people get offended. But there is a very obvious reason why Yorkies greater than 7 lbs are often confused with silkies. It is because they are very alike, except for the silky's greater size.
cmedici13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!