View Single Post
Old 05-24-2006, 06:37 PM   #13
Lacy's Mom
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbie's mom
And, I'm 'seriously' not being flippant here when I ask: "Then, why do so many do it?" Having heard that breast cancer was higher in unbred females is one reason I've entertained the notion of breeding Abbie once. I don't want her to go through any of these horrific things; but the fact is, birthing is NOT FUN in any species, I'd imagine.
Breast cancer is lower in spayed females and almost nonexistent if they are spayed before the first heat. I think you might be thinking about pyrometra an infection of the uterus. The risk is higher in an unspayed unbred female, but not a risk to a spayed female at all. Every time an unspayed female goes into heat without being bred she runs a risk of developing pyrometra.

I do not have a good answer for your other question. Whelping a small dog is not a pleasant experience. Most first time Yorkie moms are in pain and do not know what is going on. If you do not have a lot of knowledge and confidence that you know what the dangers signals are and when to go to the vet it is not a pleasant experience. It is very stressful. Of course, after whelping, then the experience is very rewarding, if the puppies are healthy.

If no one bred Yorkies, then none of us would have them so I am not against breeding. I just do not recommend it unless you know what you are getting in to and no what the risks are. The more knowledge you have the odds of having a successful outcome improves, but even if you do everything right every whelping has risks to the mother.

In breeding Great Danes, even the whelping process was enjoyable, but it is very, very different with a small dog who is yelping and biting at her back end and seems to not know what is going on, especially when it's your baby.
Lacy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!