View Single Post
Old 05-24-2006, 09:35 AM   #3
Erin
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

As long as he is eating something and is very active, I think you are OK. Loki was very picky about his food for a very long time. Now he gobbles it up. The amount you feed varies by the brand of food. Usually you feed less of the premium foods. If you feed both dogs an "all life stages" food you might have less interest in the other's food? Loki is on Canidae and I feed him about 1/4 cup twice a day. So you might just be over feeding. And Loki is about 10 pounds. I'd say try feeding 1/8 cup 3 times a day. Slowly your dog will be less interested in one of the meals, and then you can eliminate it. I feed Loki twice a day because he will sometimes puke if his tummy is empty. Plus, he eats when we eat and we don't have problems with begging this way.

Try one of these foods if you are able to get your hands on them locally. You just need to read ingredient lists - look for the first 2-3 ingredients to be meat. No by-products. No corn or corn products. No grain by-products either, look for whole rice or potatoes. Watch out for Brewer's Rice - it's a nice way of saying "what's left over after take all the good stuff out" Look for a Vitamin E natural preservative. Basically anything you can buy at the grocery store is very bad (IAMS, Eukanuba, Pedigree, Purina, etc.) There are 1-2 acceptable options at Petsmart and Petco if that's all you have. Otherwise buy online, look for a local feed store or a local independent dog store or dog boutique. I prefer Pet Supplies Plus. Here are some brands to get you started - there are probably 30 really good foods on the market, these are just the easiest to find.

Canidae
Innova
California Natural
Wellness
Solid Gold
Merrick
Natural Balance Ultra Premium
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!