View Single Post
Old 05-02-2005, 04:00 PM   #3
rachelfraim
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Can't believe what I found out today! I had to call the vet over the weekend to see if it was okay to give Kodah children's benadryl. For about three or four days she has been scratching so bad that she has even been crying!
I, too, thought it might be her food after doing a search & finding that some Yorkies have had itchiness being on Royal Canin (but I had started last week switching her to Innova EVO) or maybe her shampoo (Bless The Beasts puppy shampoo) but the vet said this is highly unusual for a puppy to be scratching that bad. He did a skin scrape test & found that she has a type of mite that she brought home from the breeder (not contagious to humans or other animals) - said it has something to do with their underdeveloped immune system & sees this kind in very small puppies or elderly dogs. I could not believe it!!! but thankful we were able to get a diagnosis. She is just miserable, but treatment starts tomorrow & he said she should be feeling alot better by Thursday!! He did tell me that I could give her 1/2 mil. of benadryl every 8 hours. I tend to be a "clean freak" always cleaning her bed & blankets every day as well as cleaning food dishes & vacumming EVERY day! -but just hearing the word MITES makes me crazy. He assured me that I could be the cleanest person in the world & she brought home just enough from her breeder's place that it has taken these few weeks to develop into this stage - another good thing is that there is no hair loss at this point - but I can hardly stand to see her itch like she does !
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!