View Single Post
Old 05-22-2006, 10:12 AM   #14
princesspippi
Yorkie Talker

Default Ringworm isn't hard to treat at all

I would go ahead and have the vet prescribe some fulvicin (sp?). It's the same thing as the Griseofulvin. You can also use some lamisil on it. That will help clear it up. If the ringworm is not too bad (only a small spot or two I would probably just use a special shampoo from your vet and lamisil on it because the fulvicin is said to be hard on their kidneys. Keep it very clean. It can take about 3 or 4 weeks for the ringworm to be gone. Ringworm is in the same family as athletes foot.

I bought a yorkie one time and it was covered with ringworm. I mean from head to toe and it had lost every bit of its hair. I went to a ladies house and she had several beautiful dogs. Then I saw this little teeny girl yorkie. (she was 6 months old and weighed barely 1.5 lbs) I asked her why she didn't treat her ringworm, and she said that it wasn't ringworm. She said she had dipped her and everything so it wasn't ringworm. Well I asked her if she had a blacklight. We used the black light on it and sure enough she was bright green. She had even lost part of her ear. Well needless to say I couldn't resist her. After I took a good scolding from my husband and my vet for buying such a sickly puppy we treated it and she was totally ringworm free.
We gave her the fulvicin and the prescription shampoo (I can't think of the name but it started with a K) and lamisil. I went to get her out of her crate first thing one morning about two weeks later and it was like she was shedding her skin! Well about 3 weeks later my older yorkie came up with a tiny spot on her ear. I just treated her with the shampoo and the lamisil and it went right away.

Sorry that post was so long! If you made it this far you deserve an award.

P.S. My grandparents used to take a green walnut, and cut the green skin off and rub the black part (between the nutshell and the outside green skin) on ringworm. It turns it black, but it kills the ringworm. Honest! When I was a kid my mother got a ringworm on her leg from our neighbor's cat and she treated with a green walnut. My dad told her she was crazy, but it got rid of it! Now he tells everyone about it.
princesspippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!