View Single Post
Old 05-22-2006, 04:21 AM   #4
kalina82
Phantom Queen Morrigan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacisMom
I recently took my yorkie to the vet for his first visit since we got him. We have had him a lil over a week.

The vet is pretty sure he has ringworm. And this would make him unfit for sale. I payed 2200 for my little guy but when i heard this news, i was devastated.

I know my options but I seriously don't know what to do. I am afraid this is going to foreshadow his health for here on out. And when I payed 2200 for him i was expecting good health, or at the very least fit for sale. (he isnt even a teacup).

I did get him from a pet store. I will NEVER do this again. But I am wondering if any of you have had any experience with this problem or any advice. I have a cat as well at home and I am afraid that one or all of us will get it at different times and keep giving it to eachother. So far I am in the clear and it has been over two weeks since I first took him out and started playing with him.

Please help. I don't know what to do

ok please don't get rid of the puppy because it has ringworm. ringworm isn't a worm at all. Its a treatable condition. Just don't touch the spots anymore. if you can put a teeshirt on him or something. Ringworm doesn't make the puppy any less health, but you can get the vet to write you a letter saying he was unfit for sale and then you can get the pet store to pay for the treatments. Since you got the puppy from a pet store this is to be expected because the puppy probably came from a puppy mill or very large breeder. Dogs from puppy mills usually end up with kennel cough, mange, ringworms, other worms, or skin conditions when you first get them because they are surrounded by so many other puppies and living in poor conditions (i'm saying this for Most pet shop puppies, but not all). Also, about you paying $2200 for him, that's probably only becuase you got him from a pet store. They will charge that much for a puppy reguardless of health or size because they know people will pay it.

As for the ringworm. Its very treatable. While at home to keep the puppy from scratching it you can put cortizone cream on him. He is going to need a couple ringworm dips at the vets office. These are to be done once a week until the ringworm is cleared up. You can get the pet store to pay for these. Its going to be a little bit of a pain to clear up, but it can be done. ringworm usually take 10 days for it to show up on people after they have touched the ringworm spot on the puppy. if you do notice a spot on your or a family member just cover it up with a bandaid. I've worked with dogs for 10 years and i've come across many with ringworm, and i've never gotten it yet. (knock on wood). just be careful about touching the ringworm spots, keep them covered if you can, and be sure to get those ringworm dips at the vets office.

hope this helps and that you don't feel like the puppy is not worth keeping.
kalina82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!