View Single Post
Old 05-21-2006, 09:33 AM   #3
StewiesMom
Stewie Rox the Sox
Donating Member

Many people prefer the AKC because it is the longest standing registration. Other registries such as the Continental Kennel Club, American Pet Registry and American Canine Association accept 3 photos of your dog as proof that he or she is purebred. They also do not do inspections of breeding facilities like the AKC does and they do not keep as firm of a grasp on paperwork. Many breeders get suspended from the AKC for abuse of animals, lying on paperwork, etc. I posted a thread in the one of the sections with a list of all of the breeders who were suspended from the AKC. Many of them go onto other registries.

Another thing that is somewhat "shady" to me is that many of the other registries accept mixed breeds and designer breeds. For example, Labrador/Poodle mixes are accepted as their own breed - that kind of makes me say "hmmm".

And to answer your question about dual registered being better, no. Any one of us could go to the CKC, or APRI and register our dog. All we would have to do is swear that they are purebred and take a couple pictures of them.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!