View Single Post
Old 05-19-2006, 01:20 PM   #14
typerk
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin
Loki knows a gazillion tricks too that he has learned in class and at home. Training isn't all about tricks. It's about communication. We go to classes because we enjoy going and because there is always room to improve and many advanced classes to try. And it's fun! How could you possibly look down on my dog and me because we've been to training classes? My sources would be Loki's trainer, Whole Dog Journal, books by Pat Miller, Patricia McConnell and others. And, if the leash pop was not painful - why would have any effect? The dog would rather not do the behavior again if it is going to feel pain. You are right that all dogs will not become afraid, it depends on their underlying temperaments and experiences. They could have multiple potentially adverse reactions. Why risk it? Wouldn't you rather teach your dog what is expected of it than punish it?

Also, even advocates of leash correction say that owners should be taught the PROPER way to do a leash correction. That still requires a class.
Leash popping doesn't hurt in the least. It works because it breaks them out of whatever they were about to do, basically it distracts them from the distraction. I trained my dog outside that way and she was never hurt or scared or negatively affected in anyway. This isn't a negative form of training by any stretch of the imagination.

My yorkie listens to us, she comes when called, she doesn't chew on furniture or electrical cords or walls, she doesn't chase people or bark at dogs or bark at the ups guy when he knocks, she doesn't pee on the floor, she doesn't whine, she doesn't run out of open doors or into the middle of the street if I take the leash off her for a few minutes, she's sociable with other dogs and best of all she is extremely happy and healthy. Call me naive but I think that is great for a 13 month old yorkie.

I'm not saying that obedience class isn't good if you need some help but I just didn't feel these so called "experts" could teach my dog better than me. I do believe that when you have to worry about your dog sprinting away from you and barking at other people or dogs that he doesn't respect you as he should. A dog that listens to his owner/pack leader simply doesn't do that. But you have your way and I have mine and that's ok too. And for the record I don't "look down" on anyone, that's simply not my style. Take care.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!