View Single Post
Old 05-19-2006, 08:37 AM   #5
Ladylavender
YT 500 Club Member

I agree, it is extremely exhausting in the beginning with these yorkies, but it does get better. You will notice a big difference around 7 mos old.

In the meantime, I would start crate training them. You can put them in a crate for longer periods of time, than an hour like you are doing now in the kennel, but you do have to work your way up to it. As soon as they are out of the crate take them outside to go potty.

You should designate a time(s) during the day that is free play or walk outside time. All other times should be strictly for potty. I would use an x-pen outside to designate the potty area. You put them in the x-pen and they don't get out until they potty. Once they go potty they get to go back in the house or get their free play. (This should eliminate some of the time you go out, because they will come to understand that going out is for pottying and not necessarily playing. They will come to realize soon that if they want to play and get out of the x-pen they will have to potty first. Once they get the idea that they have to go potty as soon as they go outside, you can eliminate the x-pen. The other way to go is use a leash and keep to a specific area only. Don't walk them until they have gone potty.

Now if they won't go potty when you take them out, then back in the crate and out again in 10-15min, until they finally go. Once they have gone, you should be ok for about an hour before they have to go again, after play.

But at this age, they really have to go a lot. Almost every hour on the hour. That's why the crate is so good. You can train them to hold it longer.

Hope that helps. Just a few suggestions.
Ladylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!