View Single Post
Old 05-19-2006, 07:13 AM   #1
Terra
Donating Yorkie Yakker

Default Help! 50 hrs x 2 per week of supervision

Greetings Yorkie Lovers,
Please forgive me if I sound like I am complaining and or whining as I am in a pretty depressed state.

Our wonderful Yorkies, Annie and Susie are 5-1/2 months old now and have been spayed. They are so precious! They love the outdoors, we do a few walks a day and rides in the car, etc. The problem is because they are not totally house trained - they have to be watched continually while they are out of their pen. This turns out to be 50 hours a week for me and 50 hours for my husband (who also works part-time). The girls get to play in the big recreation room downstairs which is carpeted and leads to the door that will allow them to go outside - as they let us know or we think they have to go out. Well in about a month there are now 20 cleaned-up pee spots on the carpet of which we will have to have professionally cleaned and when they are outside they eat everything, including still...their feces. So we have to watch so we can pick-up the feces right away. The girls love to play outside. So when they give us a look like they want to go out - we let them out...but this turns out to be like 50 times a day because they just like to be outside. Thus, we aren't always catching the signals (or they are not well developed yet) that tell us that they need to go out to eliminate.

We both (my husband and I) are shot! We haven't let them roam free in the whole house yet because they are not totally trained. We don't kennel them but instead have a pen in the kitchen that has an open kennel in there. In order for me to get some of my work done, I have to put them in the pen about every few hours and then I will do an hour of work and then go back and be with the girls - letting them out of the penned area so they can go outside or play in the rec room.

As I have mentioned, we are both spent...tired. They get us up between 4:30 and 5:00 a.m. and we go to bed at 9:00 pm. Fortunately they are starting to sleep until 5:15 - 5:30 am.

So...we feel very trapped. We can't do anything because we are watching the girls. I have the day shift and my husband watches them in the evening.

My husband and I haven't been out on a date for some time and now we are both so exhausted that we don't feel like going out and hiring a dog sitter so we can have a night out.

I feel like all I can do is talk puppy because I don't really have much outside contact except for my work which is mostly computer based.

We made a commitment to these girls. We love them very much. Our feelings are not their fault what so ever! But what can we do to "not have to watch them constantly?"

Thank you for reading all the way through this.
Blessings and Yorkie love to you all!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!