Thread: New little boy
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2006, 03:13 AM   #2
kalina82
Phantom Queen Morrigan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deber
My new boy will arrive Sunday morning. I am getting him at 8 wks instead of the 10 wks we originally agreed upon due to the family is leaving for vacation.
His breeder has him on Iams canned food and his teeth are almost in.
I have never been happy with Iams..and would like to change him over to a better food. Without teeth being fully in, could I use hard kibble soaked in warm water? This breeder feeds the mother canned food as well. While I prefer my dogs on hard.
I would make this change very gradually..and don't mind using canned for a few more weeks. If canned at this young age is better..what brand is recommended? In my past experiences with Iams..we had LOTS of extra poop and boy was it really smelly. My Vet is saying canned Hills is the way to go but so many now say that Hills Pet Foods are not very good.
If I use kibble, watered down should I add cottage cheese or vitamins to it?

Guess I am just asking for general food help. Once his teeth are fully in I can move him into harder food.

Would really appreciate any help and suggestions you can give.
i would go with a dry food. while he's still young you can add warm water to his food to soften it up a little. As for which brands to get, i prefer Wellness, its a great food. Iams and Eukanuba are both made by proctor and gamble, and they are a horrible animal testing company so i don't recommend them for that reason alone. Hills Science diet is good if you can't afford one of the better premium foods. Wellness is premium, along with Wysong, Royal canin, Innova, Nutro and Solid Gold.
kalina82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!