View Single Post
Old 05-18-2006, 07:30 PM   #13
Jenn218
Mojo, LilyGrace & Me
Donating Member

That is awful, but for some reason I think more and more places are getting that way.

When I worked, I had worked with this company for over 10 years and received 12 hours vacation and sick time a month - Great, right?

Well, they always complained if you wanted to take vacation time and when you did want to take vacation, you had to send in a letter about the exact hours you are taking, etc several weeks (or longer) prior to the vacation day for approval. If something happened, and you had to be gone longer than planned, that was a big ordeal - but in some cases, what can you do? If the planes are delayed or problem with car, etc. there is nothing you can do.

Sick time was another story - they wanted it approved too, as if you know when you are going to be sick. Doctor visits had to be approved prior to your appt. date and even then, they would like a doctor note (didn't enforce that though). Some appts. you can't help but get worked into, so those were last minute ones and they frowned upon that. If we missed 3 days in a row, that was a definite doctor note time, if no note, chances where that you got a mark in your file or something.

They didn't understand school closings or holidays OR sitter problems. They didn't allow you to bring her kids to work (even though we all had offices), but they frowned upon you having to take off. I got to where I would either just take off or bring my daughter to work. They didn't say much because you couldn't tell she was there and I got a lot of work done that I wouldn't have otherwise gotten done if I were at home.

They were pretty easy going (really) and actually a fun place to work, but when it came to time off, that was another story. BUT if you had over a certain amount of time saved up, you had to use them or lose them. - you could donate to a time pool, but they picked who the time went to (and it wasn't always the ones who needed it the most, but sometimes the ones who wasted all of their time and just wanted extra time, etc).

I think a lot of it had to do the who was over us at the time - some were more laid back, others more strict. I enjoyed getting that extra time, but it was mine to use (in a sense) and I couldn't stand being treated like I was in elementary school again. Needless to say, I now enjoy using my time as I see fit without having to answer to anyone! hee,hee
Jenn218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!