View Single Post
Old 05-18-2006, 11:20 AM   #1
Dan & Corinne
Inactive Account

Default Jewel York: 28 April 2003 - 18 May 2006

Jewel passed away today. She had what was suspected of being either Necrotizing Leukoencephalitis or GME.

She fought her battle for one year and ten days. Her death was not directly linked to her illness.

I took my eyes off of her and she fell into our pond. She was expected to recover according to Dr. Gary Uyeno at ACC&IM.
She was swimming at the surface when I realized I left the door open to the patio and jumped in to get her. She was coughing and her tongue was blue when I pulled her out. She never passed out and was able to stand on her own. I immediately wrapped her in a towel and took her to our neighbor who owns a veterinary clinic and who's spouse is a veterinarian for the Long Beach Aquarium. She was home early and immediately worked on getting any water in her lungs.

According to Dr. Uyeno, the x-ray showed very little to no water in her lungs. However her blood pressure was down to 33 and her temperature was 97 when I first brought her in. I called in ahead of time and they had everything prepared to help her when I got there. By the time I left, her blood pressure was at 93. They had blow dried her and placed her in a special warming blanket (like an air pillow) and was preparing to move her into an incubator after I left. She was on fluids via IV, had a vital sign monitor attached to her ear.

She was put on a respirator a few hours later then went into cardiac arrest this morning.

Jewel fought so hard against her battle with this disease. Please give your babies a hug & kiss. Tell them how special they are.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0007.jpg (120.9 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1327.JPG.jpg (137.0 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg JewelFootball.jpg (138.8 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg SuperModel!.jpg (77.3 KB, 79 views)
Dan & Corinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!