View Single Post
Old 05-17-2006, 03:29 PM   #5
chattiesmom
Donating YT 10K Club Member

I recently read the Cesar's Way by the Dog Whisperer and a book called Better Dog Behavior. Since reading these two books I have a whole different philosophy about walking the dogs. Before we would stroll around sniffing here and sniffing there. Now I realize that the walk is a tremendously important tool in maintaining the all imortant leadership roll. So....

we pee and poop AND THEN GO FOR A WALK

When we walk, I am always out front with the Chattie and Peppy behind. We walk where I want to walk and at my pace. I do occasionally stop purposefully so that they can sniff and do a little marking, but it is on MY terms. Of course I am very aware of the condition of Peppy and Chattie and take great care to not over tire them.

Since implementing "Power Walking" I have noticed a tremendous change in Chattie and Peppy's demeanor. They are so much more pleasant to be around.

I haven't added Chizzie to the pack yet, but will be as soon as the puppies are weaned. To maintain our walks even during bad weather I bought a treadmill. Chattie and Peppy LOVE LOVE LOVE the treadmill and will actually hop on and "ask" to go for a walk.

I would continue to walk the two together and become the leader of the pack and be a little more assertive about having the kids keep up. Hope this helps.
chattiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!