View Single Post
Old 05-17-2006, 02:19 PM   #1
Joeysmom
No Longer a Member

Default Joey might have liver shunt disease

Hi all... some of you have seen the adorable photos I've posted of little Joey. If not, here's a short summary of his life till now. He was born at 2 oz., has been very healthy and got a positive vet check before I brought him home. He is about 5 months old now, weighs about 1 lb. 12 oz.
He's been the joy of our family, even winning over my doubtful husband.

About a week ago, Joey began stumbling more ( he's always seemed a little clumsy, but I figured it was because he's so tiny). By this past weekend, he quit walking altogether, and was pretty droopy. I called my breeder and she thought it sounded alot like dehydration, so we quickly found some Pedialyte and started him on that. He actually perked up quite a bit. But still no real walking. Monday I bought some Nutrical and started him on that, and he's been eating canned Wellness Puppy food (he refuses his crunchy Royal Canin Puppy that he used to love)
Went to the vet yesterday and was told he seemed neurological, but not sure. The vet didn't give me definite answer but said the signs were that he has neurological problems. I brought Joey home to talk to my husband about what to do next. I've been reading and reading, and no dogs seem to exhibit the exact things Joey is doing. He is very perky, responsive, alert, wants to play, but just can't seem to support weight on his hind legs. He kicks with them, and uses them to roll over, but won't stand up. He just pees where ever he is, and poops. He had been doing great on his potty training too. I have to syringe water into him, he won't lap it up.

Some things I've read point to liver shunt, and others don't. What do you think? We are going to have bloodwork done this week, and I would like to get some xrays done to see if it's a physiological/ bone/joint thing. He does have a luxating patella on one hind knee too, but mild.

Needless to say, this has been a torturous week, filled with trepidation. I'm not sure what we will do, but the breeder and I are friends, and she's offered to take him back and nurse him for awhile, or permanently, whatever we want to do.

BTW, I want to let you all know, she did not breed for tiny on purpose. Joey was the runt and she nursed him for three weeks to get him strong. His brother and sister are on their way to being about 5 lbs. each.

If anyone else has been through this, 1)please pray for me to know what to do, and 2) send some good news!

Thanks for reading this super long post. I know you all love your babies as much as we love Joey.

deb
Joeysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!