View Single Post
Old 05-02-2005, 04:06 AM   #12
TIFFANY
Yorkie Talker

Default Rileys update

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. Riley is doing great. Or as well as to be expected. He had his surgery Friday the 22. The vet says that everything went well. The bone was a bit more diseased than originally thought, so instead of just taking off one ball of the joint, they took of both. It is kind of scary looking. The vet says he will walk on it, but it just looks to me like its hanging in mid air. She says the muscles and joints will all pull together and work.. He has a cone on his head, his whole leg is shaved except for his foot, and he has a 2 inch scar running the length of his leg. And you dont realize just how skinny those legs are until its been shaved. We found out that he is a big ole 12 pounds. Its been a week and some and he still only uses it a bit, really only uses the toes. The vet says that means he is still in pain, he is on pain meds. He lets me move it around some, so there is a bit of hope that he will walk on it one day, and also the posts from other ones that have had this.
The way we found out that he had this was that my husband threw the ball down the hall nd he went flying after it and it looked like his legs stopped but the rest of his body just kept going. so he was in pain from that, it went away, then later he would be running in the yard and he would hurt it again. or jump off the couch and so on. So since it never healed we took him in, we thought it was his knee but a $200 xray later found out it was the legg perthes disease. So the surgery was $695.75. I have now paid for Riley twice!
and some said what about the insurance, well it seem that this is a hereditary thing and they dont cover that. oh well.
So thanks again for the support. I knew I could find it here. Take care everone and I will kep you updated. (im just slow at getting around to responding-we are getting ready to move cross country and im selling my house, quitting my job......oh the joy of moving!)
Tiffany
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!