View Single Post
Old 05-14-2006, 06:14 PM   #18
yorkiegirl2
YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HShanks
Hi everyone, I am a new member to this site, but have been lurking on the boards for the past couple of weeks. I am just sick with worry right now.

We bought a 9 week old female yorkie (Abbie)from a reputable breeder (family friend). She is now 12 weeks old and has been doing well up until last night. She used the bathroom (pee and poo at 2 AM) and she was fine. She had not been acting lethargic or strange last night before bed. She sleeps with my husband and I and woke us up at 6:00 AM with what we thought was a nightmare, but turned out to be a grand mal seizure. Her whole body stiffened, she was making strange noises, she lost control of her bowel and bladder. It lasted for about 2 minutes and my husband even had to perform CPR on her at the very end of the seizure because she stopped breathing.

I am a nursing student and my first thought was hypoglycemia. I grabbed a jar of peanut butter and had her lick it off of our fingers, all the while I was calling the emergency vet. The vet said to give her honey water, which we did. She acted strange for about 15 minutes (easily scared, shaking), but then was fine, running around and playing. She took a 20 minute nap, got up, ate breakfast, and is napping at my feet as I type this.

It is now 3 hours later and she has had no other seizure activity. I spoke with her normal vet and she is scheduled for blood work tomorrow. He said it didn't sound like hypoglycemia to him because of the extent and severity of the seizure. I would like any thoughts on this condition. Does it sound like liver shunt, she is gaining weight, and seems healthy other than the seizure. I did notice that she pee'd alot after the seizure, but I think that is because of the honey water.

I would like to add that she ate a mushroom from our yard 2 days ago, but threw it back up about 2 minutes after she ate it (it was only the cap of the mushroom and I definitely saw it when it came back up).

If it is a liver problem, can you please give some advice on what I can feed her until I get her to the vet tomorrow? She is currently on NUTRO puppy and I noticed that it is 28% protein...isn't that what she needs to avoid?

Please say a prayer for our baby. It's amazing how quickly they squirm their way into your heart.
I would be sure to let the Vet know about the mushroom..as they can be toxic to dogs.
Here is a good site for seizure and causes.
http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-...m/site_map.htm
I hope your pup get better..keep us posted.
yorkiegirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!