View Single Post
Old 05-14-2006, 06:26 AM   #4
Patti
Donating YT 30K Club Member

Cali had several episodes of hypoglycemia when she was about 10 an d 12 weeks old. The first one I had put her in my bed during the night because she woke. When I got up in the morning she was almost comatose. I screamed for my husband and we gave her pancake syrup and rushed ti the er vet. I cried all the way there because she looked like she was dying. By the time I got her there she was coming out of it but they kept her and gave her IV fluids for the day. The second one was less severe and she came right out of it with syrup. The lst one she had she was almost 6 months old and I woke her up from her nap at 9 pm and she stumbled down the stairs and was falling over and then started to walk like her legs were all stiff and like she thought the floor was closer than it was. It was so weird. I gave her nutrical and rushed her to the er vet. They kept her and Iv'd her and did Bile acid tests. Bottom line She had liver biopsy and all the test for liver shunt and was diagnosed with very very mild MVD or internal liver shunt. No treatment is necessary buit I do try and keep her on a lower protein diet.
So it is possible that it is hypoglycemic episodes but I would have her liver shunt tested as well. The one thing I found with Cali is I feed her 3 times a day and make sure she eats at each meal and she has been doing great, knock on wood.
They make a low protein diet. I think Hills science diet has one. I have Cali on a 17% protein chicken breast diet since she won't eat dog food. Good luck with your little baby.
How much does she weigh? Cali was 1 lb when I got her and now is 4 1/2 lbs at 11 months!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!