View Single Post
Old 05-13-2006, 09:15 AM   #7
Kathryn_V
Out to Spoil the World!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpayton
The trick is to just pull a few hairs at a time...don't pull a clump out at once. Also, grip it firmly and pull briskly in the direction that the hair is growing.

Very True!!!

The powder is for grip!! That ear hair is slippery!!Their ear wax is very slick! It can make gripping the individual hairs very difficult! The powder also coats each hair to help them stand out! When a Translucent hair is coated in powder you are more likely to see it! I do a serious Pulling when we groom each week, and its not very much because we stay on top of it! But when Pixie or Paris is relaxing in my lap, I will "play" with their ears... In the same manner that I would when I am plucking ear hair... so they don't see it as a bad thing... It is actually very relaxing to them. And I will pull a few when they are just kicking back on my lap and hanging out. Its not painfull at all! A firm grip (use the powder!) and a sure pull, and its out! a little at a time... not huge clumps... Paris had enough hair in her ears to make a whole new puppy!!! We got it out a few hairs at a time... and now she has clear pink ear canals... They are very cute! But it seemed like an overwhelming task! It was a LOT of hair! I assure you, it is not painfull... the only time they should feel pain, is when they have an ear infection behind it and the ear is super sensitive....

If they are not pulled, you end up with debris trapped deep in the ear canal, (you should see this on a scope! its gross!) and this can lead to ear infections... scratching the ears, shaking the head, whining.... brown gunk... all signs that baby needs to be seen... Could be ear mites, could be ear infection, could just be excess ear gook! What ever it is, you need to be instructed on how to manage it...

Keeping ear hair at bay is your first line of defence! Pull! Pull! Pull!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!