Thread: Microchipping
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2006, 10:44 PM   #2
yorkieK9trainer
YT 1000 Club Member

I microchip all of my dogs at various ages though. Large breeds I wait a little longer (around 6-7 months). If done sooner during their heavier growth spurts the chip tends to travel a bit. Not really a big problem, just a hassle. As far as the Yorkies go, I have them chipped around 5 months.
The gauge of needle they use is somewhat intimidating, most dogs do experience a bit more pain than when they receive their vaccines, but seem to quickly forget about it. A lot of vets will actually take the dog in back to do this.
It's been my experience that the "going rate" from east to west coast is about $40-$60. This is to include the chip and your one time registry fee.

Also, I wanted to mention that if you can get the AVID chip, I would. According to their stocks and to their purchase lists AVID is THE number one sold chip in the US to date as well as their scanners. Since that's the case, I'm inclined to believe that that's up'd my odds for any lost ones out there w/ their chip since they're scanners are out there in the largest numbers as well. Those buying the chip are both public and private parties.

jm2c I hope this helps!

(I have my ferrets/birds/horses/cats all chipped as well! And there is a discount for multiple registry households)
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!