View Single Post
Old 10-22-2004, 04:32 AM   #6
Higgin's Mom
YT 500 Club Member

Fasteddie is right on -- Rudy's behavior is very normal. He is taking the "Alpha Dog" position in the pack. It is best to just let them do this, even though an honest fight may break out. All the dogs are happiest when they know their position in the pack. Actually, YOU are the Alpha Dog and you need to let Rudy know this. Then comes Rudy, then Maddie, etc. In the long run, Maddie won't mind a bit.

I had two English Setter littler mates. Bitches. And they used to get into "Top Bitch" competition. Scared me once in awhile, but they never hurt each other. The rest of the time they cuddled together and truly were sisterly.

Recently, my daughter's two Great Dane bitches got into it bigtime, and one hurt the other so badly, they weren't sure she would live! Took many stitches and lots of time to heal. These two have been together since puppyhood and share a doghouse and play together, and have taken care of each other's puppies.

Higgins challenges Pogo all the time for the Alpha Dog position, but so far Pogo is still in charge and Higgins knows it. Higgins also knows that Don is the real Alpha Dog in our pack. He'll try things with me, but seldom with Don.

At whatever breed and size, they are still dogs, with ingrained doggie behavior. 99% of pack order is settled without any violence, and I bet that will be the case with your little guys. It's kind of fun to "observe" the "pack" in our household now and then. Enjoy!
Higgin's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!