View Single Post
Old 04-30-2005, 03:15 PM   #6
SoCalyorkiLvr
BANNED!

I think most breeders sell over the internet now. Most of the best ones have a website to educate people about the breed and their dogs in particular. In this information age I would almost be leary of a breeder without an internet presence because they could be "fly by night" with no way to contact them after you buy. A nice website tells you alot about a breeder in my opinion.

A way to protect yourself if you send money ahead is to do a "puppy escrow". A disinterested third party holds the funds until the puppy has arrived, is vet checked and okay.

It is always best to meet the breeder in person, but if you can't then their are definitely ways to have a successful transaction long distance. I would spend a lot of time on the telephone and by email getting to know the breeder and her philosphies on the breed. I would ask to speak to her vet and several other references. You should be able to tell from what they say about the breeder what she is really like. The vet is an especially good resource if they have had a long relationship with the breeder.

I would ask for the puppies pedigree and pictures of the parents ahead of time. If they aren't pedigreed this is not a big deal if you are looking for an inexpensive pet yorkie. Health and temperament would be primary concerns so I would ask about the temperament of the parents. You can tell if the breeder goes on and on with stories about the parents that they are well loved and cared for. If they just say, "well, he is even tempered" and notheing else, something is probably wrong.

Try Ruthie Freeman at www.pet-puppystork.com. My puppy was expensive because I had specific criteria I was looking for but she has some less expensive ones occasionally I think.

Good luck!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!