View Single Post
Old 05-08-2006, 09:08 AM   #5
JeanieK
Donating YT 12K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by typerk
No matter how many times you read it, never, I repeat never ignore it. Also don't let him sleep with you at night. Just correct the barking. When he starts shout no no no no!. Make sure you do it so he knows it's the barking that you don't like. I'm not sure if he is potty trained but if not you should be crating him a lot when you are home anyway to train him.

If you ignore it, it will never stop. If you baby him when he barks he will always do it. Do some pack leader exercises. When you come home while he is in the crate, ignore him for the first 10 minutes. Don't come home and go crazy with a greeting, just ignore him. Don't look at him or touch the crate or anything for 10 minutes. Take off your work clothes, prepare dinner or whatever but ignore him when you first come home.

No treats when he barks either. We had our dog in the room with us but when she turned 1 year old we moved her crate into the living room. Maybe the first couple of weeks we had her she barked sometimes but we corrected it and it was never really a major problem. Our correction was a gentle shaking by the scruff of her neck.

It sounds like your dog runs the house and you have to put a stop to it. I know it's hard for a lot of folks here to do but our dog does hardly anything without prior approval. She won't jump on the couch unless she's invited, she won't jump on the bed, she won't leave the crate when we open it unless we tell her to, she sits down at the front door when we open it, she even sits down at her food bowl to wait for us to give her the "eat" command. Train your dog and the dog owning experience is so much better for all involved. The dog knows exactly what you expect of him/her and you know exactly how your dog will behave.

Your dog is young too so you have eager youth on your side and it can all be easy.

Maybe it's just me, but this does not sound like much fun to me, I could never make them spend that much time in the crate.

I agree with extablishing leadership and all, but I believe it can be done outside of the crate.

I'm the leader, but I like my pack close by.
JeanieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!