View Single Post
Old 05-07-2006, 10:45 PM   #11
SnowWa
YT 2000 Club Member

Normally, when a child or adult has a fever ---you don't wrap them in a warm blanket. Instead, you should be cooling them down.

I remember taking my son to the ER when he was one or two with a high fever and having seizures (tonsillitis)....anyway they put in in an ice bath to bring his temperature down, gave him medicine, and we were on our way back home in a couple of hours. I will never forget the doctor telling me that the worst thing many mothers do is put their babies to bed, cover them up, and try to keep them warm. Wrong..........he said.........just the opposite of what we should be doing.

Just thought I'd mention this. I certainly would never resort to putting a Yorkie in an ice bath (I'd be seeing the vet long before I'd ever do this) -- but at the same time, I would keep him uncovered and try to prevent his becoming warmer.

Dogs can take aspirin - this will often help bring a temperature down....but this wouldn't necessarily address the problem that is causing the temperature in the first place. Time to go to the vet......and after the visit, keep in close touch with him until your little pup is back to normal.

Good Luck with your little pup -- Carol Jean
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!