View Single Post
Old 05-06-2006, 06:05 PM   #6
RLC12345678
I heart Hootie & Hobbs

I agree with Carol Jean, if you do a simple "search" on any topic here at YorkieTalk, you will find so much information. I would also recommend that you get a book specifically about Yorkshire Terriers. Obviously we all here at YorkieTalk think they are just the best pets ever. I will try to answer a few of your questions:

What is their usual temperament? -- Yorkies are definately "watchout" dogs...they bark whenever they sense danger.

what homes suit them best? -- Yorkies adjust their activity level to the activity level of the household...i.e. if you are an active person and want to involve your yorkie in your active lifestyle, the yorkie will be active...same deal if you are not active. I think that all yorkies vary and I really think it is the way they are raised, but some yorkies do better without children & some do fabulously with children.

what health problems target their breed?? -- I know that a lot of yorkies have bad knees, their baby teeth normally have to be pulled by the vet bc they don't fall out, they are very susceptible to collapsed trancheas, therefore, you have to use a halter instead of a collar. They are also extremely susceptible to hypoglocemia as young puppies. But with the proper care, hypoglocemia is very easy to prevent.

how easy are they to train?? -- Yorkies are very stubborn dogs. However, if you give them the time and persistence that they need, I think that they are easy to train. They are VERY VERY smart dogs. They learn tricks easily, but you have to be very consistent with the potty training. They will get away with anything and everything that you let them get away with.

All these things considered, I think that Yorkies are one of the smartest breeds of dogs, one of the most loving breeds, and the best part is...THEY DON'T SHED!!!!!!!!

I hope you decide to get a yorkie! They are really the best. But you really have to have the time and energy to devote to them. They are like little babies. You will frequently see them referred to on here as "furbabies." Good luck! Have fun browsing the site. You will learn SO much!
RLC12345678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!