View Single Post
Old 04-29-2005, 05:02 PM   #7
Breeze
Puppy Luv
Donating Member

Quote:
A friend of mine has a boxer and he was terribly allergic to the anesthetic. We had Biddy's blood tested before she was spayed & the tests came out negative, but at least I felt better sending her in for surgery. My friend's Boxer is fine now (although they still have not been able to neuter him), but I'm pretty sure our little Yorkies aren't quite as tough as a Boxer (as much as they like to think that they are!). Good luck
Boxers should never have the anesthetic ACE (Acepromazine) used on them. It may have been what what used on your friends boxer, I have heard horrible stories about what has happened to boxers that have been given this drug. It is one of the most common anesthetics for dogs and is safe for almost all types of breeds except boxers. Please pass this info to your friend or any boxer owners you may know.

Here is some info:

There is one drug commonly used in anesthetic protocols that should not be used in the Boxer. The drug is Acepromazine, a tranquilizer, which is often used as a preanesthetic agent. In the Boxer, it tends to cause a problem called first degree heart block, a potentially serious arrhythmia of the heart. It also causes a profound hypotension (severe lowering of the blood pressure) in many Boxers that receive the drug.

Recently, on the Veterinary Information Network, a computer network for practicing veterinarians, an announcement was placed in the cardiology section entitled "Acepromazine and Boxers." This described several adverse reactions to the drug in a very short time span at a veterinary teaching hospital. All the adverse reactions were in Boxers. The reactions included collapse, respiratory arrest, and profound bradycardia (slow heart rate, less than 60 beats per minute). The announcement suggested that Acepromazine should not be used in dogs of the Boxer breed because of a breed related sensitivity to the drug.

WARNING:

This drug is the most commonly prescribed tranquilizer in veterinary medicine. It is also used orally and is prescribed for owners who want to tranquilize their dogs for air or car travel. I would strongly recommend that Boxer owners avoid the use of this drug, especially when the dog will be unattended and/or unable to receive emergency medical care if it is needed.

Submitted by & : Wendy Wallner, DVM July, 1997
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!