Thread: Leggs Perth
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2006, 05:16 AM   #6
livingdustmops
Princess Poop A Lot
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezertblu
I personally just want him better. He doesn't "seem" to be in pain, but he is tough and may not be showing it, as Hubby accidentally stepped on his foot once and there was not a sound, he went on as if nothing had happened(Moe) so he seems to have a high tollerence level for pain, he never yelps or verbally speaks of pain...this in my mind does not mean he isnt in pain he just chooses not to vocalize it.
I agree with you - one of our rescue's came in and was a very sick little boy with kennel cough, coccidia and a few other things. It was nip and tuck with him at first. It took a week for us to realize that his left back leg was no longer in the socket because it had been kicked out by his abuser. He never once let on that this hurt. Once we got him over the worst and knew he would live then we started analyzing his leg. It was thought that maybe surgery was the way to go with the understanding that down the road he probably would have more issues due to the leg being a little shorter and arthritis would probably set in because of the surgery. Luckily for Tahti our vet continued to talk to surgeons and finally it was decided "First Do No Harm" and surgery was cancelled until he was older (he was only 3 months old) & until he stopped growing. Today Tahti is very active and can walk on the leg but when he runs he only runs with 3 legs. I continue to monitor the leg (I adopted Tahti) but it appears for now we have been able to delay/cancel any surgery. Many of these little ones have a very high tolerance to pain - it is amazing.

My friend who does rescue with me just finished going through this surgery for one of her own dogs. He is great now but it was not an easy process to keep him sedate as he is a Yorkie. Helen I know where you are coming from.

Best wishes as you go forward with your little one.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!