Thread: aggressiveness
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2006, 09:07 AM   #8
MyTrixie143
Mom to 6 Beautiful Furkids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaspermom
Just like some people, some dogs just have snappy personalities. They get possessive of their things, their humans, and their territory, especially if they don't get out much, or people don't come to them much.

This is just an idea, but I think it might work. You will need to enlist some help. Start out slow. Have a friend come over, and have them not look at or talk to your pup. Have them sit with a few small treats in their hand, and sit there talking with you, calmly and rationally, and it doesn't matter what you talk about, just ignore your dog.

In a couple minutes, have your friend toss a treat to your dog. Then in a couple more, have them drop the treat near their foot. Do this a couple more times. This session should be pretty short, 15-20 minutes.

The next time they come, have them not talk or look at your pup for the first 10 minutes they are there, but you and your friend hold a calm conversation. Then have your friend say your pups name in a friendly voice, and drop a treat. Do this every 5 minutes or so for 15-20 minutes again.

Have a different friend come over next. Do the same routine.

Have another friend over. This time, see if they can get your pup to come take the treat from their hands.

By the time you get through all your friends, your pup should be THRILLED to have strangers come over because they are going to get TREATS!! Make sure you are giving low-fat/low-cal treats, or you could end up with a chubby doggie! And if you drink wine, this could be WAY fun for you and your friends, too, LOLOL!!

If you try this, let me know how it turns out!
Great advice, this is exactly what you should do. I have had problems with this in the past and have used the same method, it really does work. I would have told you to do the same thing, Jaspermom just beat me to it!! As far as taking your dog to a trainer I doubt it would work because the problem you want to correct is at home not at the trainer's place and it would do nothing to help your dog for at home unless your trainer worked with you at your home. Good Luck with your training :-)
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!