Thread: aggressiveness
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2006, 01:32 PM   #2
Jaspermom
Yorkies Rock My World!

Default It takes some work, but you can do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrina
My dog is super nice in person and playful, how do I get her to act this way when strangers come?
Just like some people, some dogs just have snappy personalities. They get possessive of their things, their humans, and their territory, especially if they don't get out much, or people don't come to them much.

This is just an idea, but I think it might work. You will need to enlist some help. Start out slow. Have a friend come over, and have them not look at or talk to your pup. Have them sit with a few small treats in their hand, and sit there talking with you, calmly and rationally, and it doesn't matter what you talk about, just ignore your dog.

In a couple minutes, have your friend toss a treat to your dog. Then in a couple more, have them drop the treat near their foot. Do this a couple more times. This session should be pretty short, 15-20 minutes.

The next time they come, have them not talk or look at your pup for the first 10 minutes they are there, but you and your friend hold a calm conversation. Then have your friend say your pups name in a friendly voice, and drop a treat. Do this every 5 minutes or so for 15-20 minutes again.

Have a different friend come over next. Do the same routine.

Have another friend over. This time, see if they can get your pup to come take the treat from their hands.

By the time you get through all your friends, your pup should be THRILLED to have strangers come over because they are going to get TREATS!! Make sure you are giving low-fat/low-cal treats, or you could end up with a chubby doggie! And if you drink wine, this could be WAY fun for you and your friends, too, LOLOL!!

If you try this, let me know how it turns out!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!