View Single Post
Old 05-01-2006, 07:32 AM   #11
JeanieK
Donating YT 12K Club Member

Default I'm so proud of you

I quit cold turkey 25 years ago. Well maybe not cold turkey. It was right after my divorce and I was in a new relationship and we quit together, but I think we sublimated sex for cigarettes. To keep from craving that after sex cigarette, we just had more sex.

Seriously though, what helped me, was first of all I never told my self that I could not have another one, that would have made me want one even more. For the first few days, I took it one hour at a time. I would tell myself, just wait one more hour, and I'd find something to keep myself busy.

To keep from eating, I sucked on lemon drops. And I had a pencil or a toothpick in my mouth all the time, just to keep my mouth and hands busy. The "keeping busy" also helped to keep from gaining.

I found that driving was the worst, because I would always light a cigarette before I'd start the car, so on my commute to and from work, I would do deep breathing. Draw in as much air as your lungs can hold, and then hold it in for as long as you can. Try it, it gives you an oxygen rush.

Good luck
JeanieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!