Thread: Sick Yorkie
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2006, 09:44 PM   #9
SnowWa
YT 2000 Club Member

Many things can affect our or a dog's sugar level - and often this is only temporary and the levels return to normal quickly.

The most common symptoms of diabetes are extreme thirst, frequent urination (because of drinking so much water), extreme hunger, weight loss, and fatigue. "Staggering, shaky, and vomiting" really are not typical diabetic symptoms.

Your vet ruled out diabetes with blood tests and because her blood sugar returned quickly to normal - and with her symptoms, he probably didn't seriously consider diabetes anyway - but did need to start running tests and rule out whatever problems he could.

I don't believe in changing vets everytime you can't find a solution quickly. I'm sure your vet expected you to bring your pup right back in if she didn't improve, and when you do, I'm sure he will consider other causes for her illness and other tests that might be done.

I have said it often, but I can't really understand why people with sick animals come here for solutions or answers to their pets medical needs. I can see why a person might want to see if anyone else has had a pet with a similar problem - but even considering following advise from most of the lay people here on YT is something that I would never do. (Even with my limited knowledge - a hospital supervisor for 10 years and having worked in the medical field for more than 35 years - I would only be guessing. And, I can tell you for certain that I see many very very wrong answers to medical problems here on YT.)

AND - how many times do I read -- "I would change vets!!!!!" Most of the time, this is very poor advise. I think you are always ahead to stay with one vet and let him work through your puppy's problem....changing is expensive and often entails "starting over again," or taking advantage of what the first vet has done and "taking credit for finally solving the problem."

If your puppy is no better, my advise is go back to the vet - and let him continue in his efforts to diagnose your puppy's problem. I know there are a few vets that might not measure up to our expectations, but most vets are good people. They like animals or they wouldn't be in the profession they are in - and they are extremely well educated medical professionals who sometimes (like our own doctors) need more than a single visit to figure out what exactly is going on.

I hope you get your little dog's problem diagnosed and can get her back to feeling 100% well again.

Carol Jean
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!