View Single Post
Old 04-29-2006, 06:25 AM   #13
ddiedre
Yorkie Yakker

I trim both my babies. For the first year I had them I took them to the groomers, but I found that to be a rather expensive undertaking for something I felt I could easily do.

I bought myself a pet grooming kit which included trimmers with multiple length guards and scissors. It had an instructional video, but to be honest I learned more online by asking questions and finding informative websites.

My female stands still really well, but my male is a bit more active. If he gets antsy, I ask one of my kids or my husband to help settle him. It hasn't been a problem. I even learned how to express the anal glands, but I only do it if I see them scooting or chewing their behinds. I'm not of the belief it needs to be done regularly, only when necessary. Besides, if they're having firm, regular poopies then it may not be necessary.

It's not hard, I have a big area on my counter that I work on. I bought a pad where they can stand and I even use a blow dryer sometimes. I won't say they're show quality, but they look just fine to me. Besides, if I take a little too much off it always grows back.

I keep my female really short because her coat is very thick and can get curly. I leave my male a little longer, but not show length or anything. Just longer. I had someone at petco show me how to safely clip the nails and we're good to go.

I think if you're comfortable, go for it. You're dog will also sense you're comfort and respond to that.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!