View Single Post
Old 04-28-2006, 09:06 AM   #4
feminvstr
Donating YT 4000 Club Member

Taking an xray not only will allow you to know the pups position and size (making sure the diameter of the heads are not larger than her she can handle on a natural whelp) I would highly suggest you xray to pinpoint the whelp date as well, your whelp dates can not be right you are guessing within two weeks. Average date would be 63 days from first tie. There is a chance as well she is not pregnant and going through a false, if you are unsure of any ties. With a false she will still experience weight gain, swollen vulva and teats. You need verification she is pregnant, if indeed she is......

Keep your male away and separated!

Feed her HIGH QUALITY puppy food if she is indeed pregnant, she needs this added nutrician now and through nursing.

Whelping...you still have time to find someone experienced to assist you, call your vet and ask if they know of any local breeders that would be willing to assist...

You need the proper whelping supplies and feed!

You need to make sure you understand the signs of a mom in distress, full labor without resting in between for more than a hour...YOU GET TO THE VET!

You need to make sure she dispells every placenta (if not she could get a very bad infection and left unnoticed could die) If you have any doubt you need a clean out shot administed by your vet of oxytocin.

You need a heat pad (set on low under and to one side of the whelping box)to keep these babies warm, the first three days are critical they can not regulate their own heat at all, if they get chilled they can die. You need to keep all drafts and airconditioning off around new born pups. Room temp should be warm never chilled.

You need to make sure each and every puppy is latching on properly and staying on the teat.

You need to have new born puppy formula and bottles on hand, in case you need to suppliment.

You need to know if a puppy is crying it is not getting enough food and or warmth!

gosh I could go on and on...but this should get you started in the right direction, please TAKE YOUR GIRL TO THE VET for xray and a well check!

If you need any help call or pm me!

I hope this helps
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!