Thread: Barking Dog!
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2006, 01:10 AM   #1
SnowWa
YT 2000 Club Member

Default Barking Dog!

I know most of you would never resort to "negative reinforcement," but perhaps some of you are desperate enough to try this.......

But then - I guess even spraying a dog with water is "negative reinforcement," and a lot of you do recommend this......

This is from an article written by a vet...

. . . negative reinforcement can be useful. Perhaps a little story will help explain:

As a veterinary student, I lived in the basement of an animal hospital. We did a lot of boarding, and there were occasionally dogs that barked at night. These dogs were warm and well-fed, with plenty of water. Their kennels were clean and dry. All they lacked was entertainment. I quickly learned that hollering "quiet" was pretty much useless. Here is what worked: I'd put a little water in a Dixie Cup and quietly stand in front of the barker, not saying a word. Within a minute or two the dog would bark again, whereupon I'd immediately dash the water in his face, turn around and go back to bed, all without saying a word. I'd usually have to do this two or three times the first night, once or twice the second night and maybe even once the night after that. Nearly always, after the second or third night, peace and quiet.

"Quiet" repeated calmly and clearly once or twice in a normal voice will teach your dog to associate the word with water in the face. . . Later, in situations where he would ordinarily bark but stays quiet instead, calmly praise him.

--------

Carol Jean
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!